Pages

Monday, May 23, 2016

Do Over

I wasn't very motivated or inspired last week - but I got up yesterday, determined to make something.  It was really early when I got back from walking the dog (about 6) so I was really excited to see that Citrus Twist had already posted their weekly sketch challenge.


I really liked the sketch and the CT take on it was very cool.  But I really struggle with layouts that use lots of circles.  And my goal was to make something - not get frustrated - so in my head I turned those circles into squares.

I used my May Citrus Twist kits - they are gorgeous with lots of Pink Paislee Fancy Free, Maggie Holmes Bloom and other coordinating supplies.  And made this.


It was close to the sketch, I photographed it and posted it for the challenge.  An hour later I walked by my scrapbook table, looked at it and didn't like it at all.  Am I the only one who does that?

So I started to pull it apart - but took a breath and thought about what I didn't like - and, being me, I decided there wasn't enough layer or detail in the layout.  So I dug through my kit goodies and got to work.  And ended up with this.


Same layout but with more layers and more details.  And I am so much happier with it.  This is the only thing I made yesterday, but I learned two things.

  • When I don't like a project, starting over isn't always the only solution.  Take time tot hink about how to improve the first attempt.  Small changes can make a big difference.
  • It's important to know your style - and rely on those elements when you are stuck.  Stretching and trying new things is important and fun - but going back to what you know and love is the best way to find your mojo.         
I wish I could stay home and put those lessons to the test this morning.  But I'm off to work.  Have a marvelous Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Your layouts remind me of one of the old scrapbook magazine features. They'd show 3 versions of the same layout, from simple to very embellished. Your first version is fine, but the second one is more "you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great sketch. But I'm circle challenged, for sure, among other things. I love both versions, think they are awesome. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love how your layout turned out! I shy away from circles myself and I don't know why. I love how you redid it! Great layering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love how your layout turned out! I shy away from circles myself and I don't know why. I love how you redid it! Great layering!

    ReplyDelete