Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Playing With Color

Every month a member at Studio Calico hosts the Layout a Week Challenges.  The challenges are generally applicable to traditional layouts, project life and card-making.  Its always fun to see what people come up with, but this month the first challenge might be one of my favorites ever.

Carson Riutta (also a member of the SC Creative Team) is hosting the February LOAW challenges and her first challenge was so much fun.

The challenge was to mix at least 10 inks and then blindly choose three.  Use just those three colors (plus neutrals) to make a project - layout, project life spread or card.  I love mixing colors and patterns but this challenge made me really nervous.  And I'll admit it - I was prepared to cheat and pick over if I really hated the colors that I ended up with.

I took all of my color theory ink pads (except the black, greys and creme brulee) and laid them o0ut randomly at my desk.  Then I had my husband mix them up.  I held a sheet of  stickers in front of my face and picked three at random.  Here's what I ended up with.....






That's right - purple rain, lime light, and glass slipper.  I happen to really like all of those colors, but I never would have thought about using them together in one project.  My daughter took one look and told me I really lucked out.

I decided to make a spring card for my project.  So I left the ink pads on my desk and when through my small scraps looking for papers in that fit my color story.  And I found a great card sketch at Paper Issues.

Here's what I ended up with.


I used a metal die to cut the word happy out of a piece of scrap paper and used some puffy stickers from Evalicious for the sentiment.  The tag pulls out and provides a great opportunity to add a "secret message" when I am ready to give the card away.  And those purple jewels were left from the Lemon Lush collection Studio Calico issued about a million years ago.  (Yes I am still hoarding papers and embellishments from that collection.)

This was a great way to experiment with different color collections.  Play along - and if you are a member at Studio Calico, don't forget to link to the challenge thread - a gift certificate goes to a random winner every month.  And link me up too - I will come give you some love.

1 comment: