Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

My Creative Sketches - January edition

My Creative Sketches posted a new sketch this week and its a good one.


When I use a sketch for inspiration, I often look at the elements and move them around to fit my photo and the products I have readily available.  This was one of those times.  Here is the layout I ended up with.


While the placement of the basic layers stayed pretty close to the sketch, the embellishments moved around a bit.  When you are moving elements in a sketch, the trick is to stay focused on the visual balance in the design.  For example, if you move an element from the bottom to the top of the layout, look for an element at the top of the sketch to shift to the bottom.  The same goes when you move an element from the left side of a project to the right side of the project.  Here are the shifts I made:

  • The sketch uses an embellishment cluster anchored by a tag at the bottom of the photo block - I moved that element to the top.
  • The embellishment cluster to the side of the photo moved to the other side on my project.  I was using that fun transparency phrase element as a layer and didn't want the embellishments to cover it up.
  • I used the garland sticker under the photo instead of the row of hearts at the top of the layout.
  • Those two hearts at the bottom of the photo block on the sketch - they moved to the other side and became arrows and stars.
Hope this makes sense - it provides a ton of flexibility and the changes mean you can use the same sketch for multiple projects (that all look really unique).

This is Friday - I am really excited to have made it to the weekend.  I am planning to do some organizing, some scrapping and lots of recovering over the next couple of days.  I hope you have some fun things planned.

Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of sketches, I do. And I've taken inspiration from them (sort of). It was nice that you explained your process with this. I understood a little better. Anyway, cute photo, and I love your layered layout. :) Hope you are well. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you fearlessly approach so many sketches Julie! I would never have attempted to make that sketch my own, but your layout looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! Thanks for playing at My creative Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete