Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Rub Ons and Splatters

Rub ons seem to be one of those products that people either love or hate - no in between.  And one of the most frequent complaints is that they have a hard time using them.  I happen to love them, but I hate it when I end up with partial images. 

But recently I've been experimenting with a new technique that means it just doesn't matter.  I've been mixing rubons with ink splatters (watercolors would probably work too ) for a fun multi-media look.  I tried it once and was totally hooked  Here is my first experiment:


The gold stars and the phrase "you are my moon and my stars" are rub ons -- then  I just started layering ink splatters in different colors.  I love the layered background effect that I ended up with.  And since I don't have an artistic bone in my body, I am thrilled when I find a way to add that flair to my projects.  (The gold stars are from a Jenni Bowlin sheet of "scattered stars" from an SC add-on last summer; I haven't been able to find more so I am hoarding them).

I was so excited that the technique kept showing up for a few days.  Here is anothe project with a totally different feel.  The first project was soft and dreamy.  This time I went for bright and fun.  I used stars and phrases to create the background. And I still got to feel a little like an artist!  :)


You'll see this technique showing up on morep rojects - it is so fun and easy.  In the meantime, get out those rub ons and play.

Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. Glad your back in blogland, Julie! Love the mix of splatters and rubons. Neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mix of rubons and spatters, so fun!

    ReplyDelete