Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mail From AARP


 

I'll turn 50 at the end of this month.  I know, in my head, it's not really old, but it wasn't a lot of fun to get that card from AARP in the mail.  (Maybe if retiring at 50 was an option, but let's get real!).  And it does make me realize that I need to get serious about all those things I keep saying I'm going to do someday or have put on my "Bucket List."

One of the things on my Bucket List is earning a spot on a Design Team.  I've submitted information occasionally, but have allowed myself to be easily discouraged when I've applied.  So I'm going to suck it up, not be discouraged by rejection, and really pursue that goal in my 50th year.  (After all, there are lots of talented scrappers out there, so why should I take rejection so personally?)

My Scraps and More is holding their Fall Design Team call.  And, even though I am getting a late start, I'm going to submit an application.  I've followed their blog almost from the beginning of finding the scrapbook community on the internet and really enjoy seeing the different projects they show.  I haven't participated on their forums, but am making a new commitment to try.

One of the elements of the design team application is participating in a special sketch challenge.  The one page sketch was lots of fun to work with.  I stretched it for a two page layout about a trip we took to visit my Mom earlier in the summer.  The layout is for Nicholas's junior year album. 

I had lots of fun playing with the circles, colors and trims.  The layout combines elements from lots of manufacturer's and lines for a cohesive look that is uniquely mine.  Her are some highlights.

1.    The paper is from Creative Memories, LilyBee and October Afternoon.  I've mentioned before that CM paper is great for wallpaper because it is relatively light weight, but still adds texture.

2.  Embellishments come from Elle's Studio, Basic Grey, and October Afternoon.  The cork tags are from an Etsy shop I found through Freckled Fawn.  Cluster and combine small elements for more impact. 

 
3.  I've used the red and white ribbon several times in this album and was afraid it was getting repetitive. To get a different look, I layered another color ribbon over it.  It's a great way to stretch your stash.



4.  I've had the SC stitched circle garland in my stash for a while, but couldn't figure out how I wanted to use it.  It was really easy to manipulated for a curvy look and I used pop dots to adhere it and add dimension.



5.  I generally type my journaling and print on vellum when I pulling product for a layout.  That technique helps me be more thoughtful about my journaling.  But to help keep it from getting lost on a page, frame it with embellishments.


Wish me luck with My Scraps and More.  And if that doesn't work out, I'm going to keep trying. 

Hope you're having a great weekend!



2 comments: