Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Fun Scrap Shopping Tips From My Husband (Seriously) and a Summery Layout

My husband can be pretty amazing.  Even though he complains about the amount of scrap stuff i have and the amount of money I spend on scrap stuff and the fact that I stay up til the wee hours scrapping, he is generally really supportive.  He understands that the creative outlet is really important to me, so he keeps taking pictures and puts up with my scrap habit.

But this weekend he outdid himself.  On Saturday he "scrap shopping."  Here's where we went and what we got.


First we went to Archivers where I used my 30% off coupon on some MME washi, took advantage of the buy 2 Thickers, get one free deal, and bought enough American Crafts and Studio Calico to get a free 6x6 Studio Calico paper pad.

While we were there, I looked at acrylic blocks for the stamps I've suddenly begun accumulating.  He looke at the price and told me not to buy them.  He said I could get a better deal at the hardware store.  (More later about that.)

When we left, he told me that the flocking material  (e.g., for DIY thickers) they were selling in little containers was much cheaper as a model railroad supply (for earthtones) or in woodworking stores (in other colors).  Who knew!

Then he took me to Staples where he watched me wonder around looking for office supplies that could be repurposed for scrapbooking.  I left with some great supplies from their Martha Stewart Line - labels in different colors, cool little raindrop shaped stickers and some little blue, green and grey tags with matching twine.  So cute and such a buy!

Then we went to the hardware store where he bought a sheet of acrylic for about $15.  He came home and cut me a lot of different sized blocks for stamping.  And we have most of the sheet left. 

Then on Sunday, we were off to Michaels - where I got a second Iris cart just because it was a good deal (on sale for half off and 20% off your total purchase).

So with all that shopping, I didn't have much time for scrapping.  But, while I was organizing my space with my new cart, I did find this layout I did a while ago when I experimented with mists and washi.  It's a bright summer layout that was way out of my comfort zone.



To create the background paper, I sprayed a piece of kraft paper pretty heavily with blue and green mists and then tilted the paper to mix the colors and cover the paper.  The washi made a border down the side.   I finished it off with a Heidi Swapp border, Creative Memories tags, Basic Grey letters and a Basic Grey metal flour.  The doily is from Freckled Fawn. 

I'm linking this layout with the Paper Issues washi challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment