Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

The New Year's Fairy



When I was young, my mother started a unique holiday tradition.  Each year, on New Year's Eve, the New Year's Fairy came and filled our stocking.  When we got up on January 1st, we had presents to unwrap.  These might be things Santa forgot or small gifts to help start the new year off right.

I've never met anyone else who celebrates quite like this, but I have passed the tradition on to my husband and children.  And because it is a unique family tradition, it is always an important part of the scrapbooks I put together for Stephen, Nicholas and Elisabeth.

This time I used this sketch from Scrap Africa.  I converted it into the two page layout below.  I am entering the layout in this month's challenge.



Since there are never new year's fairy themed embellishments and I don't want the layout to look like Christmas, I always stretch to put something different together.  For this layout, I used a combination of winter paper with some funky polka dot paper.  I used my scallop tearing tool to create the strips of green polka dot paper and for the title.  I cut the title using my cricut and sure cuts a lot in a fun font and added some sparkly snowflake stickers.  One of my favorite parts is the blue ribbon that runs across the layout.  Because the edges are solid and the middle is transparent, I created extra texture and pattern where the snowflake paper shows through. 

3 comments:

  1. stunning! love it...thanks for playing along at scrap africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice tradition to carry on. :) Great take on the sketch and I love that you turned it into a 2-pager. I don't do those often enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made such a beautiful double-pager using our sketch!
    thank you for playing along with us at Scrap Africa!

    (please add a link to our blog in your post. thank you!)

    ReplyDelete